Clipping coupons and mail-in-rebates are a time-honored way of saving money, but these IYAMCHEAP.com reader-submitted suggestions take being frugal to the next level!
1. From a reader in Detroit, MI: If you’re happy with a product, write to the company and let them know about it. They will often send you coupons and/or samples. I received over $100 in coupons this year just by thanking my favorite food-producing companies for their products.
2. From a reader in El Monte, CA: I normally look for free samples online. Whatever I do order, they usually come in the mail usually with a money saving coupon. Talk about two-for-one!
3. From a reader in the United Kingdom: When I buy something online, I always do a quick search of the website/company name and “discount” to see if there are any active discount codes. It only takes a few minutes to check, and a few times I’ve found 10 or 20% off discount codes and even combined them with sale prices. I also use google to double check the prices of sales bargains (including Black Friday deals) to see if they are offered cheaper elsewhere as sometimes even the “sale” prices are not the best value for money.4. From a reader in Chicago, IL: I signed up for the Victoria’s Secret catalog for the coupons. They send out these $10 coupons with no minimum purchase amount, so I go in and get a nice lacy pair of panties wrapped up in tissue paper for like 50 cents whenever I have a coupon. Guilt free luxury!
5. From a reader in Turlock, CA: As a broke college student, I decided to use coupons. I learn that you can stack one manufacturer coupon with Target coupon for one product. So far, I've gotten free floss, a free dish sponge, free Welch Fizz, free Ibuprofen, free Pantene shampoo & conditioner, and just today, I redeemed a free Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner. Plus, you get $.05 Target coupon for every reusable bag you bring.
6. From a reader in Toronto, Canada: A learned through a forum that you could request a coupon for one free ice cream box from an ice cream company online. So I did and it came in the mail. I’ll be doing this a lot more often.
Want more penny-pinching tips? Visit IYAMCHEAP.com for reader-submitted stories from around the world that will save you money!